Bath Spa University
Gleeds was appointed to project manage the university's redevelopment masterplan to provide state-of-the-art teaching, learning facilities, and accommodation at its Newton Park Campus as part of a two phased project.
Extensive surveys were originally carried out to help project masterplanning. This included incorporating the development across an active campus site over a number of years, whilst minimalising disruption to student activities.
Phase one of the project entailed the construction of cutting edge teaching facilities, digital spaces and a café, as well as provision for approximately 1,800m2 of ‘learning commons', which comprise of:
- A range of open-access, technology-enabled study areas
- Social learning
- Bookable group working rooms
Phase two consisted of the construction of 56 town houses able to accommodate a total of 561 students. Each house includes a shared kitchen/living space and en-suite bedrooms fitted to a very high standard.
- Understanding of Bath Spa University’s sustainability agenda and their wish to be highly placed in the People and Planet Green League
- Achieving project delivery on an occupied campus with limited operational disruption
- Delivering an Excellent BREEAM rating within public sector affordability envelopes