Ensuring AstraZeneca expanding operations remained healthy
AstraZeneca’s state-of-the-art facilities help scientists find new and better treatments for tuberculosis, one of the greatest challenges facing the world today.
When the pharmaceutical company appointed Gleeds to support construction of an office extension, a tablet production facility and a new global marketing office, Gleeds made health & safety and cost savings a priority.
The best medicine
The Gleeds team provided AstraZeneca with project management and quantity surveying services to help create:
- 13,000 ft2 office extension for the process research and development facility, spread over 3 floors with capacity for 75 scientists
- 140,000 ft2 new tablet facility capable of producing 1.5 Bn tablets a year
- 2-storey Grade A office building of 16,000 ft2
To achieve all of this on budget, whilst meeting health and safety requirements and keeping the existing facility uninterrupted we:
- Used our expertise to bring down construction costs
- Regularly monitored all activities
- Conducted risk assessment for all works
- Worked closely with the client’s facilities team
- Established a proper reporting structure
Just 5 metres to spare
We had to take particular care whilst extending the office. Construction took place just 5 metres from laboratories, a chemical waste water tank, a hydrogen cylinder room, a solvent drug store room, and a nitrogen store room.
Astrazeneca and Gleeds have worked together in the UK, we also work with them in Bangalore. We are impressed with the attitude, professionalism and calibre of the staff providing the level of service and value, that over the years, we have come to expect from Gleeds. Paul Brambley, Head of Global Construction, AstraZeneca